5 Vegan Cinco de Mayo Recipes You’ll Love
5 Vegan Cinco de Mayo Recipes
This recipe is perfect for brunch, lunch, or dinner! Wow, your carnivore friends with this delicious vegan meal. Serves well with a nice glass of orange juice.
- Corn tortillas (or oil-free tostadas)
- Can vegan refried beans
- Vegan cheddar cheese
- Avocado, sliced
- Tofu scramble (see below)
- Vegan sour cream
- Brush tortillas with oil or water, and salt to taste.
- Bake tortillas in 450-degree oven until lightly golden, 5-10 minutes. Turn oven off.
- Spread tortillas with beans, and sprinkle with cheese. Place back into the oven until heated through and cheese starts to melt.
- Top with tofu scramble, avocado, salsa, and sour cream.
- 14 oz block of firm tofu
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & pepper
- Sauté the scallions until soft. Add garlic and sauté briefly.
- Add tofu and spices, stir and cook until heated through.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Grilled Baja Tofu Tacos
This recipe is fantastic. It is a fresh taco recipe that you can have on a beautiful day that is quick and delicious. The seasoning rub gives it an incredible flavor, and grilling it gives you that smoky BBQ feel. Add some fresh salsa and mango, and it is like summer in your mouth.
- 2 T chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 14 oz block extra firm tofu
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Sliced mango
- 10 oz bag shredded cabbage
- 1 shredded carrot
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 C cilantro, chopped
- 6 T Vegenaise
- 1 tsp chipotle in adobo, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- Mix all of the coleslaw ingredients. Set aside or refrigerate until needed.
- Mix chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper and spread on a plate.
- Drain the tofu and slice it lengthwise into 4ths. Carefully roll into the spices, coating all sides.
- Grill over a preheated hot flame until charred (make sure to oil the grate; covered if using gas), 4-5 minutes per side.
- Heat the tortillas on the grill for 10 seconds per side.
- Slice the tofu pieces lengthwise in half, and serve in warm tortillas with coleslaw, mango slices, and lime wedges.
Jackfruit Tacos al Pastor
This was our first-ever jackfruit recipe, and it was unbelievable. We simmered the whole jackfruit pieces in the sauce and then grilled it to give it that blackened feel. We tossed it back in the pot and shredded it, what an amazing fruit!! You can find jackfruit in your local Asian market or online.
- 2 20 oz can young jackfruit in brine or water, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1/4 C chili powder
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 T soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- Corn tortillas
- Diced onion
- Chopped pineapple
- Chopped cilantro
- Blend all ingredients except jackfruit, pineapple, cilantro, onion, and citrus juices in a blender until smooth.
- Bring sauce to a simmer in a large Dutch oven or sauté pan.
- Add jackfruit, and simmer for about 20 minutes. The sauce will reduce and darken in color. You may otherwise remove the jackfruit after 10 minutes and grill it with pineapple slices over a medium flame until charred, about 5 minutes per side (keep reducing the sauce).
- Mash or shred the jackfruit and toss in the sauce with the citrus juices. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on warm tortillas with onion, pineapple, and cilantro.
Chiles Rellenos with Mexican Style (cruelty-free) Queso
This restaurant-inspired, spiced potato stuffed Anaheim pepper, smothered with Cruelty-Free Queso recipe, is the perfect addition to your weekly Cinco de Mayo inspired meal plan. If you have extra Queso, it is great with tortilla chips!
- 8 Anaheim Chili Peppers
- 1 1/2 pounds of potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1/2 C veggie broth
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Queso (see below)
- Peel and dice potatoes, and boil until tender.
- Mash lightly and stir in broth, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, grill peppers or broil over medium-high heat until well charred, about 15 minutes.
- Cover peppers in a bowl or plate, and let steam for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the char from the peppers. Cut a slit lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes.
- Lay peppers flat on a plate. Top with potatoes, and drizzle with queso.
- 1 C almond milk
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 block Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella-style cheese (5 oz), shredded
- Whisk cornstarch with 2 T water until smooth.
- Add to a saucepan with almond milk and salt.
- Heat to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally.
- Add cheese, and whisk until melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
What Cinco de Mayo would be complete without fresh, homemade margaritas? Store-bought sour mix is full of chemicals, so we juiced some oranges, limes, and lemons and added some agave, tequila, and orange liqueur. Shake it up and serve over ice. There you have homemade, fresh citrus margaritas. Yummy!
- 4 oranges
- 2 limes
- 2 lemons
- 1/3 C blanco tequila (100% agave)
- 1 oz orange liquor (Cointreau, triple sec, Grand Marnier)
- 1 T agave, or to taste
- Lime wedges
- Kosher or another coarse salt
- Juice the citrus fruits (a juicer works well and makes a thicker juice).
- Mix the citrus juice, alcohol, and agave.
- Rub glass rims with lime wedges and dip the rim in salt to coat.
- As needed, shake with ice and serve in salt-rimmed glasses with fresh ice. Garnish with citrus wedges of your choice.
4 More Taco Recipes from our YouTube Channel!
We hope you enjoyed this themed post for Cinco de Mayo. We sure enjoyed the themed cooking! We have spent the last week tweaking and cooking and eating Mexican-inspired dishes. Let us know what you think in the comments. What are your favorites? Tag us #veginspired on Instagram if you post your versions of our recipes, we’d love to see them!
Get VegInspired, and Cheers to a Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Kathy & John