Vegan Picnic Recipes
Vegan Picnic Recipes
The end of summer is marked by Labor Day weekend. As you grill up this weekend, here are a few easy, vegan dishes to bring along! One of the frequent questions I receive is, “how do you survive BBQs and Picnics when you are vegan and “different” from everyone else?” Well, one of my mottos since starting my VegInspired journey was “Be Prepared.” I knew after my first attendance at a birthday party, and I ate a roll topped with relish, ketchup, mustard, onions, and potato chips, that I needed to plan ahead. When I am invited to any event at an unfamiliar location; be it a restaurant, someone’s home, or a park/picnic atmosphere, I always start some research to see if I can seek out VegInspired dining options. I review menus, I communicate with the party’s host, I contact the restaurant directly. All in all, I plan ahead and research. When I need to bring a dish to pass, I whip up one of these treats! They are OMNIVORE-APPROVED and Vegan-Friendly! Yippee!!! We paired them with a delicious vegan veggie burger with all the fixings!
1. Potato Salad
- Potatoes, cooked and cut into cubes
- 14 oz block firm tofu, diced
- Vegenaise, enough to coat to your preference (sub oil-free mayo for WFPB Option)
- 1 T yellow mustard
- 1 T white vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Mix and enjoy
2. Pasta Salad (Oil Free)
- 1 pound of rotini pasta
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 16 oz can black olives
- 1 16 oz jar of green pimento stuffed olives
- 1 bunch of broccoli, chopped (blanched for 2 minutes and then dunked in an ice water bath, if desired)
- 1/2 block of mozzarella-style cheese (we used the firm block of Follow your Heart – Optional)
- 1 8 oz container of grape tomatoes, halved
- Italian dressing (vegan/oil-free)
- Cook the pasta until tender (past al dente), reserving 1/2 C of the cooking water.
- Toss pasta in a large bowl with 1/2 C pasta water and 1/2 C dressing and let cool, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and dressing to taste.
We hope you (and your omnivore friends) love these treats. Comment below or tag us on Instagram @veginspired.
Stay safe and Stay VegInspired!