Tex Mex Tempeh and Bean Chili with Vegan Cornbread Recipe
Tex Mex Tempeh and Bean Chili Recipe
We were going for a deeply spiced, hearty chili, and we think we nailed it with this Tex Mex Tempeh and Bean Chili! Leftovers the next day – lunch couldn’t come soon enough! We ate this with saltine crackers and cornbread. We’ve also perfected our cornbread recipe, which we make in a cast iron skillet! WINNER!
Tex-Mex Tempeh & Bean Chili
- 8 oz package of tempeh, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 15 oz cans kidney beans
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, chopped coarse, juice reserved
- 1 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoo ground cumin
- 3 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Sauté onions, peppers, and spices on medium heat in a large Dutch oven or pot until softened, 7-8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and 2 tsp salt, and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Add tempeh and beans, cover, and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Oil-Free Plant-Based Cornbread
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or spelt flour)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup unsweetened oat milk (or another unsweetened non-dairy milk)
- *1 cup of corn (blended in blender or with an immersion blender until chunky puree ( add small amount of water as needed to mix))
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Place 9" cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat (or you can bake in 8" square baking dish - sprayed or lined to avoid sticking. Don't preheat the baking dish)
- Bring the water and flax to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- Simmer the ground flax seed in the water for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- Add non-dairy milk to the corn purée to measure 1 1/4 C total.
- Whisk the ground flaxseed mixture into the soy milk and corn puree.
- Take the cast iron skillet from the oven and wipe with oil to season and prevent sticking - wipe away excess. (or use fitted piece of parchment paper or enameled dutch oven with parchment)
- Fold liquid ingredients into dry, just until smooth (do not overbeat.)
- Turn into the prepared skillet (or baking dish). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cornbread onto wire rack, then turn right side up and continue to cool until warm, about 10 minutes longer.
Let us know how you like it. Tag @ veginspired #veginspiredfoodie on Instagram or leave a comment below!
John & Kathy