Plant Based Italian Sandwich
Sandwiches weren’t ever really my “thing” I liked them when they were grilled or pressed (like a panini). Or tons of ingredients stuffed into a hoagie or atop a burger. But I was never really a sandwich – like two pieces of bread and filling- kind of girl. So whenever John suggests sandwiches, I am always a little hesitant on answering with an enthusiastic, “yes!” because let’s face it I am probably not too excited. He has surprised me over the years with tasty sandwich meals, and this plant-based Italian sandwich, inspired by one of our favorite (pre-vegan) burgers is no exception.
This bad boy (or girl – if you prefer) was layered with so many unusual, and complimentary, flavors that the finale was a flavorful explosion in your mouth. The creaminess of the nut cheese, paired with the savory marinara, and bright pesto … ahhh. I think I saw fireworks with this one! Let’s break it down; it isn’t a sandwich in my definition of sandwiches. It does start with two pieces of bread, but once they are toasted and pressed ever so slightly, they are married into one marvelously, amazingly delicious whole food, plant-based experience.
Yes, it is an experience. A flavor experience. A wondrous experience. One I highly recommend!
Plant Based Italian Sandwich
Two slices of bread, creamy nut cheese, baked tofu, savory marinara, and a bright-fresh pesto!
- 2 14 oz firm tofu, each cut into 6 thick slabs
- 1 4 oz bunch fresh basil
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 jar marinara sauce, or enough for four sandwiches (We used 365 Fat-Free Marinara)
- 8 slices whole grain bread (We used Dave’s Killer Bread)
- 1 4 oz dairy-free spreadable nut cheese (without oil) (We used Treeline Garlic and Herb)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, lay tofu slabs on a parchment-lined baking sheet, salt, and pepper both sides to taste/preference. Bake 20 minutes, flip, bake another 15-20 minutes until golden
- In a food processor, process garlic, almonds, and nutritional yeast to a crumble. Add fresh basil and process. Add lemon juice and process. Salt and Pepper to taste.
Assemble Sandwich – We find assembling and then toasting to work the best.
- On the bread layer the cheese spread, tofu, and marinara.
- Spread pesto on the top slice of bread and position on the bottom stack.
- Toast to perfection (and press slightly).
- Snap a quick pic (so you can share your creation with us) and enjoy! YUM!
So grab your favorite bread and these simple ingredients and get sandwiching. Lol! I will make anything into a verb! Be sure to tag @veginspired and #veginspiredfoodie on social media.
Our ingredients were carefully selected to avoid the use of oil. If you’ve followed along with our journey, you know we adopted this lifestyle as an answer to prevent common American diseases that “run in our families”. We veered a little off track with the addition of so many wonderful vegan products coming to the market. Now, we are refocused and plan to offer less processed and more whole-food recipes like this Plant Based Italian Sandwich and our Rainbow Quinoa Salad.
We want to show epic meals are possible when following a whole food plant based lifestyle. Of course, we will still enjoy our favorite treats occasionally and bring you “What we Eat Vegan” VegInspired Adventure videos… but we are sticking a bit more to the WFPB way of eating.
Thanks for your continued support!
Eat more Plants and Live VegInspired!