We discussed making them
Picking Your Carrots for Carrot Dogs
When picking your carrots for carrot dogs, you want them to be roughly 1 1/2 inches and long enough to fit in your hot dog bun. You can always trim off the end to make it fit if your carrot is too long.
Steaming & Marinating your Carrot Dogs
We steamed the carrots to avoid them getting too “waterlogged” and mushy. We want them to be fork tender and slightly firm to really mimic the hotdog texture (no one wants a mushy, soggy carrot dog). Grab our steamer basket here! Once they were tender, we immediately coated them in the marinade and stored them covered in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. They were good after about 6 hours, and best after 12.
*You can grill them, and then reheat them so they aren’t sitting in the marinade for more than 24 hours.
Smoky and perfectly textured, these flavorful root vegetables mimic a hot dog in the best way.
- 6 carrots, roughy 1 1/2 in diameter, peeled and cut to bun (you can round off edges if you like)
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon worchestshire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Steam carrots for 15- 20 minutes over water until fork tender (duration dependant on carrot thickness.
- Mix other ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over steamed carrots and coat evenly
- Marinate for 6-24 hours
- Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes per side (you don't want carrots to get mushy).
- Serve with your favorite hot dog toppings on your favorite buns, wraps, pitas, etc.
**We've also cut these up and served them with BBQ beans (they were excellent). We like to use a whole grain bread, bun, etc to serve. If you can't find a whole grain bun, you can use a whole wheat pita or wrap. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Watch the Recipe Video
We hope you like this carrot dog recipe. Stay tuned to VegInspired.com for more picnic favorites. You can also check out some existing recipes on our site for your vegan and whole food plant based picnic recipes. All of the recipes below would pair nicely with carrot dogs. Happy Summer!