Where have stuffed peppers been all of my life?! Whoa! I believe that we have been discussing making stuffed peppers for dinner for quite some time, yet they never seemed to make it into the weekly meal plan. With an abundance of green peppers arriving in our CSA box, we knew that time was right! Most stuffed peppers use rice, so we wanted to step it up and try something a little different, polenta. It was the perfect choice for our Stuffed Green Peppers.
Polenta Stuffed Green Pepper
We served our Polenta Stuffed Green Peppers on a bed of white rice. Perfect combination! This quick and easy meal would be perfect for a dinner party; it is hearty enough to be a main dish and suitable to make ahead. It is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
6-8 green peppers, cut lengthwise and seeded
1 cup polenta, we use Bob's Red Mill
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
2 teaspoon ground cumin
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
1 package chorizo seitan, we use Upton's Naturals Brand
Vegan cheese shreds, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Bring large saucepan of water to a boil, add salt, and blanch the cut peppers for 3 minutes; remove and lay peppers cut side down to drain
- Cook polenta according to package instructions (we cooked 1 C Bob's Red Mill polenta in 3 C boiling water for 5 minutes)
- Off heat - add cumin, black beans, tomatoes, seitan to cooked polenta and mix
- Scoop polenta mixture into the halved peppers and place in baking dish
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until hot and cheese has melted.
Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving:
Unsaturated Fat: 0g
As always, we’d love to see your pictures and hear about your recreation of this dish, in the comments, on Facebook and Instagram @veginspired #veginspiredfoodie